Jeff Matura SENIOR SHAREHOLDER
Jeff Matura is a founding shareholder of Graif Barrett & Matura, P.C. His practice emphasizes commercial litigation, municipal and governmental law, and insurance law. He is AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell, which is the highest peer-review rating an individual lawyer can receive. He has also received the Rising Stars designation by Super Lawyers.
In his commercial litigation practice, Mr. Matura represents private and public companies in a variety of matters, including contract disputes, fraud claims, employment issues, insurance disputes, and other business-related issues. Mr. Matura works closely with in-house counsel on all business matters, and often serves as the first person to call when a company lacks its own established in-house legal department.
In his municipal and governmental law practice, Mr. Matura represents towns, cities, and counties throughout Arizona. Mr. Matura defends these municipalities against civil rights claims, employment disputes, housing matters, police enforcement issues, and other contested actions. Mr. Matura serves as the town or city attorney for several municipalities, works closely with a Town or City Manager, and often appears before a Town or City Council to provide advice on pending matters and updates on important laws. Mr. Matura also has specialized knowledge and experience regarding the Civil Rights Act, the Arizona and Federal Fair Housing Acts, reasonable accommodation requests, law enforcement disputes, and public records requests. Mr. Matura also testifies before the Arizona State Legislature to provide input on behalf of clients on proposed legislation that could impact municipalities.
In his insurance law practice, Mr. Matura represents international and national life insurance companies, property and casualty companies, and other insurers. He often represents these insurers against first-party breach of contract and bad faith lawsuits, analyzes claims and medical payment issues, and advises insurers on their business needs and compliance with Arizona insurance laws.
Mr. Matura handles disputes from their inception and through trial. He has completed numerous jury trials in federal and state courts. He has also completed more than 50 administrative trials before various regulatory and administrative bodies throughout Arizona.
- Commercial Litigation
- Municipal and Governmental Law
- Insurance Law
- J.D., cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 1999
- B.A., Carleton College, 1996
- State Bar of Arizona: Construction Law Section (2001-present); Fee Arbitration Committee (2000-2005)
- Arizona, 1999
- U.S. District Court for the District of Arizona, 1999
- “You Consented to What? Consent Judgments and Coverage”: Contributed to articles and presentations at the State Bar of Arizona 2002 convention to discuss how insurers can avoid liability when confronted with consent judgments
- “Presentation on Products Liability”: Presented in 2001 to pharmaceutical, medical and other product manufacturers to provide an overview of products liability law, including common theories, current trends and how to avoid litigation
- “New Developments in ERISA Law”: Three-part lecture series presented in 2000 to educate hospitals, doctors and other healthcare professionals about ERISA
- “When Will It Stop? The Use of the Death Penalty for Non-Homicide Crimes”
- Maricopa County High School Moot Court: Instructor, 2001
- Volunteer Lawyers Program, 1999-2005
Honors and Awards
- Life Saver Award, Volunteer Lawyer’s Program, 2002